Wednesday, 25 November 2015

Changing culture

Texas has long been considered a very car centric city, with cars and oil very much ingrained in the state's culture and economy. Planning in Texas is vastly different to the previous cities we have travelled to. Texas has been the first instance of seeing large scale urban sprawl through every city we visited. 

Texas has a lack of coherent planning, as can be seen from the many parcels of undeveloped land in between the sprawl. This was not helped by the amount of land dedicated to the automobile. All Texan cities we visited had an extraordinary amount of ground surface car parking in largely sought after areas. In some parts of the interstate, there was up to five layers of bridges. It could be seen from the amount of time the bus spent in heavy congestion, that even with the large amount of road network, Texas still cannot keep up with demand. Therefore other forms of transport need to need to be seriously considered, like in Houston, where a dedicated bus lane is being implemented. It seems like Texas’s solution to heavy congestion is more freeways, which is terrible and not at all sustainable for the future. 

Texas’s planning appears to be in complete disarray with very unclear land uses. The counties have very little control over land use, and this is very problematic when looking at how bad the sprawl already is especially along the intestate. Texas is the state most in need of implementing a growth boundary to heavily reduce sprawl. This needs to be done before Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston morph in to one low density mega city. 

Steve and Rebecca showed us a completely different side of Austin. A community centric, green, climate conscious neighbourhood that showed the state is changing with times to be more sustainable, such as the cities motto ‘keep Austin weird.’ This form of housing looked to incorporate cycling and walking as the more popular forms of transport, showing that not all of the state is entrenched in the car dominant ideology.

The one exception was San Antonio. Not as many car parks and more aesthetic streetscapes made the city appeal more old timely. The downtown was more clearly defined, and less based on car dominance. Although we didn’t get to see the whole city, the parts we did see felt less in your face and more laid back. San Antonio’s downtown area is great, however not seeing how bad the city's sprawl is, it cannot be said if the city is going the same way as most other Texan cities.

Texas is definitely more anarchy than innovation, however the cities still work -  just with more congestion. The land use is ad hoc and there are very few controls. Urban sprawl and car dominance are problems that both need addressing in the near future to stop the state becoming the worst example of sprawl in America. If the state's planning continues the way it is going, then the whole state will become a mass centre of sprawl. The state's culture needs to change as well. If change is to be effectively carried out, the population has to want to change its habits. However in Houston, there were small amount of change presents with a dedicated bus land going in and the retention of the large parkway in close proximity to the city centre. It was a real eye opening experience seeing Texas, and then hearing Australians complain about congestion (considering how bad it is in Texas).

Jack Francis

27 comments:

1. Great Article. Thank you for sharing! Really an awesome post for every one.

IEEE Final Year projects Project Centers in Chennai are consistently sought after. Final Year Students Projects take a shot at them to improve their aptitudes, while specialists like the enjoyment in interfering with innovation. For experts, it's an alternate ball game through and through. Smaller than expected IEEE Final Year project centers ground for all fragments of CSE & IT engineers hoping to assemble. Final Year Project Domains for IT It gives you tips and rules that is progressively critical to consider while choosing any final year project point.

JavaScript Training in Chennai

JavaScript Training in Chennai

ReplyDelete
  2. ing continues the way it is going, then the whole state will become a mass centre of sprawl. The state's culture needs to change as well. If change is to be effectively carried out, the population has to want to change its habits. However in Houston, there were small amount of change presents with a dedicated bus land going in and the retention of the large parkway in close proximity to the city centre. It was a real eye opening experience seeing Texas, and then hearing Australians complain about congestion (considering h
    pet ornaments

ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy kinds very own post. It will be respectable to get a single narrative inside and outside of the core of this distinctive core specialized niche will likely be commonly knowledgeable. Feel free to visit my website;Yorkies

ReplyDelete
  4. aesthetic streetscapes made the city appeal more old timely. The downtown was more clearly defined, and less based on car dominance.PaintNumbers

ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a very different opinion on the subject.I want to see your new post, too. Thank you for letting me gain new knowledge. 메이저토토사이트

ReplyDelete
  6. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. 토토사이트, But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?!

ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome! I want more people to know the excellence of your writing. It's really new and innovative content. Your view is similar to mine on this topic. I think my writing will help you, too. 토토사이트

ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work! This really can be the kind of data which needs to really be shared round the internet. Shame on Google for perhaps not placement this specific informative article much higher! 먹튀검증사이트

ReplyDelete
  9. Hard to ignore such an amazing article like this. You really amazed me with your writing talent. Thank for you shared again.안전놀이터

ReplyDelete
  10. I'm writing a paper on the subject of your article. I feel like I've found a very precious treasure. Thanks to you, I think I can finish my thesis safely. Please come to my blog and read my post related to yours. 먹튀검증업체

ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I was checking this weblog and I am inspired! 카지노사이트탑

ReplyDelete
  12. I like this website! Glad I found this on google. Its nice, thanks 바카라사이트

ReplyDelete

13. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more 바카라사이트

ReplyDelete
  14. I once again find myself personally spending a significant 바카라사이트 amount of time both reading and posting comments.

ReplyDelete
  15. I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. 바카라사이트

ReplyDelete
  16. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

토토사이트
    경마
    카지노사이트
    사설토토

ReplyDelete
  17. Your website quite a bit up fast! What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink on your host? I desire my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

majortotositepro2
    racesitepro2
    oncasinositenet2
    totopickpro2

ReplyDelete
  18. Hard to ignore such an amazing article like this. You really amazed me with your writing talent. Thank you for sharing again.
    우리카지노탑
    카지노사이트
    바카라사이트
    온라인카지노`
    카지노`

ReplyDelete
  19. เกมสล็อต เกมที่มาเเรงที่สุด ทำเงินได้เยอะที่สุด ambbet บริการสล็อตออนไลน์ ศูนย์รวมสล็อต สล็อตเเตกหนัก เเตกยับๆ ทำเงินได้เยอะที่สุด สล็อตไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ถอนไม่อั้น ทุนหลักร้อย กำไรหลักเเสน ฝาก-ถอนอัตโนมัติ รวดเร็วที่สุด ไม่มีค่าทำเนียม ไม่ต้องเเจ้งยอด สมัครสล็อต โบนัสฟรี 100%

ReplyDelete
  20. Hard to ignore such an amazing article like this. You really amazed me with your writing talent. Thank you for sharing again.
    카지노사이트
    0
    0

ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, everything is going 안전카지노사이트 perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing data,
    that's truly good, keep up writing.

ReplyDelete
  22. hello my name is taufik specialis social media wadi sipit thanks

ReplyDelete