Monday, 27 January 2014

Welcome to Singapore!

Welcome to Singapore!                                                                 

Friday - After arriving in Singapore off a 7 hour flight, we were excited to have a look around the vibrant neighbourhood we were staying in.

Even though we arrived at night, it was immediately apparent we were in a very interesting place. The tree lined freeway from the airport, abundance of parks and gardens along with buildings with green walls showed that this technologically advanced city has strong ties with nature and is striving to be a leader in the green city and lifestyle movement. 

One of the first things you want to do when entering a new culture is try the food so that is what we did. The menus can often be misleading; as some students ordered vegetables and noodles in oyster sauce – they received steamed bok choy.

Saturday - Some were organized to get up early enough to find somewhere for breakfast while the majority just ate whatever they could find, even if it was a curry that turned out to be too hot to handle. (Shops don’t open until around 11am so breakfast was difficult to find)

The architecture was incredibly interesting as the mix of older housing with contemporary housing didn’t clash but seemed to compliment each other.

Our first stop was the Singapore Urban Development Authority. This was a great introduction to an even greater city as it allowed us to get our bearings in this fast paced Asian metropolis. Interestingly 85% of Singaporeans reside in high density residences which explains why the urban area is small in comparison to cities like Melbourne.

The higher densities have allowed for an extremely efficient public transport system. If you miss a train you only have to wait about 3 minutes for the next one, refreshing for anyone from Melbourne!

Interactive screens, games and miniature cityscapes allowed us to learn much of the cities urban form and how Singaporeans live and interact with their environment at the Singapore Urban Redevelopment Authority.

Saturday night provided some fun for some students who went to the Chinese New Year celebrations. Markets lined the streets with thousands of people out enjoying the festivities. 

Stay tuned for the next blog from our adventures as there may or not be footage of a lecturer falling off his bike. It shouldn’t be hard to figure out who it is ;)

- Leon Tremain, Bachelor of Urban, Rural and Environmental Planning
Fourth Year 

10 comments:

1. Very good article! We will be linking to this great content on our site. Keep up the good writing 야한동영상

Also feel free to visit may webpage check this link
    야설

ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting story! I'm glad I finally found what I was looking for Excellent reading 일본야동

한국야동

ReplyDelete
  3. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much 한국야동닷컴

국산야동

ReplyDelete
  4. Really satisfied with all the information I have found in this article. It gives immense knowledge on physical education, it is very helpful and quite generous to spread a good message. 국산야동

야설

ReplyDelete
  5. I got a web site from where I be capable of really obtain valuable information regarding my study and knowledge. Great Article… Good Job 중국야동넷

야설

ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hey there, You’ve done a great job. I will definitely digg it and in my view
    recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

온라인카지노사이트
    온라인카지노
    카지노사이트

ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! This iѕ my fіrst visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting а new project іn a community іn the same niche.
    Your blog providеd us beneficial information tߋ wߋrk օn.
    You have done a outstanding job!

카지노사이트
    안전카지노사이트
    카지노사이트홈

ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.|

스포츠토토
    메이저사이트 목록
    먹튀검증

ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not positive the place you're getting your info, however good topic.

I needs to spend a while learning much more or understanding more.
    Thank you for magnificent info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

스포츠토토티비
    스포츠중계
    토토사이트

ReplyDelete
  10. When did it start? The day I started surfing the Internet to read articles related to . I've been fond of seeing various sites related to 카지노사이트 around the world for over 10 years. Among them, I saw your site writing articles related to and I am very satisfied.

ReplyDelete